Definitely one of my most requested family favorites. My daughter, mother, ex-wife (really) all rave over this one… except my Dad. Oh well, you can’t win over everybody, but everyone else I’ve made this for screams for the recipe! Incredibly easy, and inexpensive to make. Chicken thighs are ideal, and legs are terrific too. Cut bone-in chicken breasts in half to make a meal that will feed heartily.
Surprisingly, I prefer using instant rice instead of regular rice. It bakes up fluffy and absorbs the flavors really well. PLUS, a big time saver. Prep time is quick and baking is an easy two-step process. Also you may prefer to use chopped onions but I really like using minced onion simply to gain the onion flavor. And use REAL butter… we don’t use any margarine in this house! ENJOY.
Baked Chicken w/ Fresh Peppers and Mushrooms Over Savory Rice
Really delicious and too easy to eat too much! Very inexpensive. Lots of great food color. The taste is incredible and basic ingredients.
- 4-6 Skinless Chicken Thighs or Drumsticks
- 4-5 Fresh Mushrooms cut into random pieces
- 1/2 Green Pepper cut into small strips
- 1/2 Red Pepper cut into small strips
- 1 14.5 oz. Can Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Instant Rice
- 2 TBSP Minced Onion
- 1/2 Stick Of Butter (Salted or Unsalted)
- Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper To Taste
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees. While oven heats, cut peppers and mushrooms into pieces.
- Step 2 Arrange chicken pieces in baking dish or iron skillet. Sprinkle generously and evenly with minced onion, salt and fresh ground pepper. Cover with lid or foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Step 3 Remove from oven and uncover then turn chicken pieces over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and recover then bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Step 4 Remove from oven and set chicken pieces aside. Add 1 can of chicken broth and 2 cups instant rice. Stir together. Return chicken to baking dish and arrange. Add a bit more salt and pepper if desired.
- Step 5 Evenly distribute mushrooms and peppers blend over chicken and rice. Evenly distribute the butter into thinly sliced pats over the mixture. Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- Step 6 Remove chicken pieces from baking dish and stir rice and veggies to blend. Serve and enjoy!
1 thought on “Baked Chicken w/ Fresh Peppers and Mushrooms”
The Crooner here is my Daddio and this recipe is so amazing! I never get tired of it, and it’s really easy to eat too much of it! He always sends me home with some yummy leftovers. ? Yes, my daddy CAN cook!