I have never cared for the typical and all-too-plentiful Buffalo-style chicken wings… the aroma takes me back to my Air Force days living in the dormitory and the common room WREAKED of the smell of these come Monday morning! OK, so that’s my memory of said cuisine… but THIS variety of chicken wing goodness is just sensational. The marinade consists of fairly common ingredients and boasts a lovely garlic, herb and lemon flora. Just pure yum. Use of fresh herbs in this recipe is definitely the way to go, but if you only have the dried versions… they yield a wonderful result too. I highly suggest fresh rosemary and parsley over the dried versions.
Achieve a grill temperature of 350 degrees. If outdoor grilling isn’t available, I used a cast iron ribbed grill pan to cook the wings in the photo with excellent results. Spray with some cooking spray.
Easy Garlic, Herb & Lemon Grilled Wings
You'll want to prepare the marinade the day before for the best result. Keep chicken parts soaked with the liquid and turn occasionally. Ziplock bag is suggested! When grilling outdoors, place chicken pieces away from open flames to prevent burning. If using charcoal, spread coals evenly.
- 2 Lemons
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 1/2 Cup Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Large Garlic Cloves, Finely Minced
- 4 TBSP Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 TSP Minced Fresh Oregano
- 1 TSP Minced Fresh Thyme
- 1/2 TSP Kosher Salt
- 1/2 TSP Fresh Rosemary
- 1/4 TSP Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 TSP Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
- 30 Chicken Wings, Small Wing Joint Removed
- Step 1 Using a microplane or other fine grater, grate the zest of half a lemon into large glass bowl. Juice the lemons into the bowl.
- Step 2 Add the remaining marinade ingredients and mix well. Set aside 1 cup of the marinade.
- Step 3 Place the chicken in the bowl or combine with the marinade in a large plastic storage bag. Make sure all the pieces remain covered with liquid. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight. Turn the bag a couple times during the soaking process.
- Step 4 Baste wings frequently using the reserved marinade and turn every couple of minutes after the first 2 minutes. Grilling time in any case is about 15 minutes for smaller pieces and 18 minutes for larger wing sections. Sear for the last few minutes directly over the coals.