I have been enjoying this dish for as long as I can remember. Growing up, my brothers and I were definitely well fed, even when money was tight. This recipe is hugely delicious and fairly easy to make. The sauce is really rich and we always enjoyed it over egg noodles. A winner for sure!
Hungarian Goulash w/ Sirloin Over Egg Noodles
This recipe is hugely delicious and fairly easy to make. Boasts a creamy sauce with crushed tomatoes, sour cream and herbs. Delicious. Great with a crusty bread too.
- 1 1/2lbs. Sirloin - Sliced into 2' strips.
- 3 TBSP Oil
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1/4 Cup Regular Flour
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 1/2 TBSP Paprika
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1/2 TSP Pepper
- Dash of Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Large Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Pasta Water
- 1 Bag Egg Noodles
- Step 1 Brown the sirloin in oil. Reduce heat and add onion and garlic. Cook about 7 minutes.
- Step 2 Add spices and flour. Mix well then add tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Step 3 Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Step 4 During simmer time, bring salted water to boil in pasta pot and cook egg noodles until desired consistency. Do not overcook. Drain noodles but save 1/4 cup of pasta water. This will only be used if you wish to thin the sauce a bit when it’s finished. You won’t necessarily use all of the water.
- Step 5 Add sour cream and stir into mixture just before serving and serve over egg noodles. Enjoy!