My mother came up with this brilliant recipe. If you follow the directions, the following makes A LOT of food! You’ll have some fine leftovers to enjoy and it’s always better the next day. I use mild Italian sausage, but feel free to kick it up. This recipes yields a nice red sauce with a bit of wine enhancement thrown in. Prep time is reasonable and the recipe is easy to make.
This entree is terrific with some nice crusty bread with butter… or olive oil. You are gonna love this. Ideal with a nice red wine.
Italian Sausage & Chicken w/ Pepper Blend and Penne
A very flavorful combination and a hearty meal. This recipe provides generous servings. Ideal with a nice red wine and crusty bread dipped in olive oil.
- 1lb. Boneless Chicken Breast
- 1/2lb. Mild Italian Sausage
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 16oz. Penne
- 1 Red Pepper / cut into small squares
- 1 Green Pepper / cut into small squares
- 6 Mushrooms. Sliced
- 1 Medium Onion - Chopped
- 1 14oz. Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 8oz. Can Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine
- 1 TSP Italian Seasoning (Oregano & Basil)
- 1 TSP Salt
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 TSP Black Pepper
- 1 Dash of Hot Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup COLD Water
- 2 TSP Cornstarch
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Step 1 Prepare the onion, garlic, red and green peppers and have all your canned items open to get to them quickly.
- Step 2 Cut chicken breast into small cubes about 1″. Remove casing from sausage and cut into small piece 3/4″ to 1″.
- Step 3 Prepare your water in a medium pot suitable for boiling the pasta. Add a bit of salt. Bring to a boil and add pasta.
- Step 4 In larger diameter medium-depth pan (ideal) , heat the olive oil, then brown the chicken and sausage pieces. Set aside.
- Step 5 Add the the onion and garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add the peppers and sautee for 1 additional minute.
- Step 6 Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine mushrooms and all seasonings. Stir together. Bring to a boil and add chicken and sausage. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Step 7 In small cup, create your “slurry”. Mix the cornstarch with the 1/4c of cold water then add to bubbling sauce and stir in. Sauce will begin to thicken.
- Step 8 Once pasta is cooked to desired consistency (but not TOO soft), remove from heat. Drain and return to pasta pot.
- Step 9 Pour the sauce/chicken/sausage/peppers mixture into the pasta pot and blend thoroughly. Cutting the pasta a bit will help. Optionally return the mixture to the large diameter pot for easier serving. Top with grated Parmesan and enjoy.