Without a doubt, this delicious variation of the classic apple pie will always be my favorite. NOT covered with an additional crust, but rather, with a crumb mix consisting of flour, butter and sugar. Yum! You can use ready-made crust (the photographed pie was ready made crust, as I was in a hurry) and get very good results but I urge you to make up fresh pie crust. It’s easy and that step is included in this recipe… just takes a little more time. Flavor of pie will vary slightly depending on the type of apple you choose, but always delicious.
Tip: place aluminum foil over the pie crust edge for a nicer light-browned color.
Mom's Crowd Pleaser Classic Apple Pie
The apple blend is easy, and you can use ready-made pie crust for fine results, but I recommend homemade crust! Be sure to have a hand pastry blender handy!
- 1 1/2 Cups Regular Flour (3/4 Cup for crust)
- 1 Quart Sliced Apples
- 1/4 TSP Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (for apple blend)
- 1/3 Cup Sugar (for crumb topping)
- 1 TSP Cinnamon
- 1/8 TSP Salt (for crust)
- 1/4 Cup Shortening (for crust)
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Step 2 Make the crust: Add flour, salt and shortening to medium bowl and cut together with pastry blender. Add ice water 1 TBSP at a time till flour mix holds together.
- Step 3 Flour wax paper and roll out dough in a circle till thin, big enough to fill pan. Put in pie pan and trim edges.
- Step 4 Mix together apples, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Blend gently until all apples are coated and even. Place evenly in crust. You’ll see some liquid and that is ok.
- Step 5 Now make the crumb topping. Combine flour, butter and sugar. Cut evenly with pastry blender. Distribute evenly over apples.
- Step 6 Bake 45-50 minutes. Enjoy.