Well, it’s not really a secret so much… you just needed me to set you in the right direction! Pancakes CAN be quite terrible. Most box mixes contain a degree of cornmeal too, making them heavy and flat. THESE on the other hand are incredible. This recipe came from an old church cookbook but I gave it a slight twist (as I usually do) for a little more flavor. The vanilla gives them an extra sweetness that only vanilla extract can do.
A good quality flour is quite important, such as Hudson Cream (my mom’s personal fave) and always remember that baking powder has a shelf life! Old BP can yield flat pancakes! If your BP is more than 3-4 months old, throw it out. It’s inexpensive to replace. I also strongly suggest REAL vanilla extract, not imitation. OK… so here we go!
Secret Family Recipe Super-Light Pancakes
- 1 1/4 Cup Hudson Cream Regular Flour
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- 3 TSP Baking Powder
- 1/4 TSP Salt
- 2 TBSP Oil
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 TSP Vanilla Extract
- Step 1 Heat cooking surface with medium heat. Splash a bit of water from your fingertips onto cooking surface. When water droplets evaporate, it’s ready.
- Step 2 In medium mixing bowl, beat the egg.
- Step 3 Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, oil and milk. Blend in well, mixing by hand with large spoon until smooth. Use a 2nd spoon and scrape any unblended mixture from spoon (it WILL be there). Mix additionally.
- Step 4 Add vanilla extract and blend.
- Step 5 Pour batter onto surface for desired size of each pancake. These rise really nice so smaller “silver dollar” pancakes can feed well and yield more pancakes. Usually about 30 seconds.
- Step 6 When bubbles form in batter, flip pancakes over and cook for about 30 seconds. Tip up the edge of pancake to check for browning.
- Step 7 Serve with desired syrup, jam or other. Consider whipped cream for a tasty bonus! Enjoy.