A total winner! Bursting with fresh lemon flavor with a light lava of blueberry thrown in, this cake recipe is simply sensational. It’s incredibly light tasting, and guaranteed to be a hit with family and friends. While it IS a 3-layer cake, the layers are thinner, yet perfect for this dessert. Totally fresh! The icing is very airy consisting of a butter, confectioner’s sugar and heavy whipping cream. It takes on a nice wave of taste after it’s refrigerated too. My family loved this one!
Springtime Lemon Blueberry Creamy Cake
Bursting with fresh lemon flavor with a light lava of blueberry thrown in, this cake recipe is simply sensational. It's incredibly light tasting, and guaranteed to be a hit with family and friends.
- 1 (15.25oz). Box Vanilla/Yellow Cake Mix, plus ingredients required on box
- Juice and zest of 1 1/2 lemons, divided, plus more zest for garnish
- 1 3/4 Cup Fresh Blueberries, divided
- 3 TBSP of the cake mix, set aside
- 1 Cup (2 sticks) Butter, softened
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 TSP Pure Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- Thin Lemon slices, for topping
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350º (325 for darker pans) and coat three 9″ cake pans with cooking spray. Line with parchment. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, then stir in juice and zest of 1 lemon.
- Step 2 In a small bowl, toss 1 cup blueberries with the 3 TBSP of reserved cake mix until completely coated (to keep the berries from sinking). Gently fold blueberries into the batter.
- Step 3 Divide cake batter evenly among prepared cake pans and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 18 to 25 minutes depending on pans.
- Step 4 Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Step 5 Make Frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat butter and 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Add remaining lemon juice and zest and heavy cream and beat until combined, then beat in vanilla and salt. (Add remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar as desired for texture and flavor.)
- Step 6 To shield cake plate from frosting during application, place a dab of frosting on cake plate (to keep cake in place) and place parchment strips on each side of the cake plate. Place down first cake and top with frosting, then top with second cake and frost. Repeat with third cake and frost sides.
- Step 7 Garnish with remaining blueberries, lemon slices, and lemon zest. Enjoy!